DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT: 30 days with the possibility of extension not to exceed 60 days.
Relief International (RI) is a leading global change organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
REPORTS TO: RI HQ Yemen Program Director
The Program Evaluation Consultant will conduct an evaluation of the activities achieved to date by RI programming in Yemen. This will include determining if/when these activities were successfully carried out by RI Yemen staff and measuring the impact of these activities upon beneficiaries.
This will require the development of the methodology for undertaking the activities with direct reference to that which is achievable within the prevailing security environment. This will address both external and internal security issues so that activities can be undertaken in a prompt, efficient and resource constrained manner.
The Consultant will, as far as is needed and practicable, liaise with the RI internal auditors on related tasks that they may be undertaking in Yemen.
The consultancy is a two-stage process - (a) design the methodology of the work, in close consultation with RI HQ Yemen Program Director, and (b) undertake the evaluation in accordance with that methodology. This may require the methodology to be framed within the context of monitoring and evaluation of all RI programs currently being undertaken in Yemen, but with particular focus on the area of concern identified by the RI HQ Yemen Program Director.
If the strategy designed by the consultant requires local expertise, the consultant will work with the Yemen Country Director to interview local M&E candidates. Once hired, this assistant will aid the consultant in his work.
As far as possible the methodology should be framed as an expenditure and implementation tracking exercise that will clearly layout and identify all steps in the various programmatic processes and document the issues and concerns that may arise to inform RI as to options for future action in respect of continuing implementation.
Confidentiality is a major matter in this consultancy and the consultancy is to be conducted so that only the RI HQ Yemen Program Director is aware of all processes and activities being undertaken by the consultant. Timing is of the essence and the matter must be proceeded with and concluded promptly.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES:
- Develop a comprehensive evaluation plan for the RI country program in Yemen in close collaboration with the HQ Program Director and the RI HQ Yemen Program Director.
- Conduct enquiries and visit program implementation sites to determine if (a) program implementation and delivery occurred within and in compliance to RI standard operating procedures and international best practice; (b) contractually obligated deliverables were achieved in accordance with both contract obligations and RI standard operating procedures and if those deliverables are of acceptable quality.
- Interview beneficiaries and other stakeholders to measure whether program implementation and delivery occurred within and in compliance to RI standard operating procedures and international best practice and the impact of program activities.
- Provide summaries of evaluation results and trends to management on a weekly or more frequent basis.
- Develop a comprehensive and confidential final report of findings.
- Must be willing to travel at least 50 – 75 % of the time.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 7+ years in Monitoring & Evaluation with extensive experience in qualitative methods
- Advanced degree in relevant discipline
- Ability to work independently and innovatively
- Experience working in challenging environments
- Experience in Middle East highly desirable
- Arabic language skills a strong advantage
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.