The Learning Portal for Design, Monitoring & Evaluation (DM&E) for Peacebuilding is a community of practice for DM&E peacebuilding professionals. It provides a transparent and collaborative space for the sharing of:
- Evaluation reports and data
- Methodologies and tools
- Best and emerging practices
- DM&E events and opportunities
By making this material easily accesible we hope to improve the practice of DM&E for peacebuilding and increase the effectiveness of peacebuilding programs.
5 Reasons to Sign Up!
- Find and access a range of resources for DM&E for peacebuilding
- Find DM&E events, jobs, consultants and funding
- Connect with like-minded peers
- Contribute your knowledge and best practices
- It's free!
Right to Play
Right To Play is the leading international humanitarian and development organization using the transformative power of sport and play to build essential skills in children and thereby drive social change in communities affected by war, poverty and disease. Right To Play creates a safe place for children to learn and fosters the hope that is essential for children to envision and realize a better future. Right To Play’s mission is to improve the lives of children is some of the most disadvantaged areas of the world by using the power of sport and play for development, health and peace.
Reporting to the Director, Knowledge Management and Evaluation, the Specialist is responsible for contributing to the overall development and implementation of Right To Play’s Monitoring & Evaluation Framework and Systems across the organization. The ultimate goal of this role is to use Monitoring & Evaluation to ensure that Right To Play contributes to a healthier and safer world through sport and play by facilitating continuous organizational learning, providing credible evidence and improving program effectiveness.
Working in collaboration with the country, regional, and global M&E staff, the M&E Specialist’s primary focus is to ensure the implementation of the framework across all regions and to support regional teams in using monitoring and evaluation systems. The M&E Specialist also works collaboratively with the entire International Programs team at HQ and the field to support program related functions and to ensure that Monitoring and Evaluation permeates all the program related work.
Job Responsibility #1: Evaluation (% of Time: 25%):
- Lead internal program evaluations and small scale studies.
- Ensure all relevant stakeholders are appropriately engaged in the evaluation and knowledge dissemination process.
- Produce full and accurate documentation including sampling, methodology, data collection, data analysis, findings, and limitations.
- Support, review, and provide feedback on field-led evaluations and studies.
- Support the recruitment, management and coordination of externally-led evaluations and research studies.
Job Responsibility #2: Monitoring Systems and Capacity Building (% of Time: 35%):
- Contribute to the development of a global M&E framework.
- Assist country and regional teams in customizing the global M&E framework and systems to their local contexts.
- Support the management and implementation of the M&E system across the entire organization.
- Ensure that all regions meet the minimum standards set in the global framework.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of program outputs and outcomes by ensuring strong design of the monitoring system, and analyzing and reporting on global-level data.
- Collaborate with the International Program team to streamline M&E processes into the program cycle.
- Continually update the M&E framework and systems in response to identified needs and continual feedback and review.
Job Responsibility #3: Knowledge Management and Communication (% of Time: 20%):
- Ensure the timely, effective and accurate use of evidence in reporting to each stakeholder group.
- Review, approve and disseminate the results of evaluations across the organization as per the evaluation communication strategy.
- Work closely with program management and staff to ensure learning acquired through evaluation is built into standards of practice to ensure continuous program improvement.
- Develop and deliver a variety of communication products that promote learning and evidence, including summary documents, online publications, presentations, and guided discussion.
- Support the development and implementation of an online M&E data management system.
Job Responsibility #4: Organizational Capacity Building and Support in M&E (% of Time: 20%):
- Conduct trainings and lead presentations on M&E processes and systems to a range of audiences, including: field-based staff and senior management.
- Provide M&E technical support to strengthen program plans, and M&E plans in all major proposals and all country plans.
- Collaborate with Right To Play teams to support resource development.
- Communicate with Regional M&E Officers on a regular basis for updates on their work and challenges, and to offer continual mentorship and support.
Required (must have):
- Master’s Degree in relevant field
- Training and certification in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Membership or certification in a professional evaluation association (Canadian Evaluation Society)
- French Language Skills
- 3-5 years work experience in monitoring and evaluation.
- 1-2 years field experience in developing countries.
KNOWLEDGE AND TECHNICAL SKILLS:
INGO / Development Sector
- Knowledge and understanding of International Development Sector including key players, stakeholders, and standards of practice.
- Knowledge of evaluation design and data collection methodologies, particularly when working with children in developing countries.
- Able to analyze both numerical and narrative data and report on findings.
- Able to teach non-technical staff to collect date rigorously and scientifically.
- Able to write complete and detailed technical reports.
- Familiarity with the Logic Framework model for program planning, program design and proposal writing.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, database, spreadsheet and graphics, presentations, and one or more of the following statistical programs: SPSS, STATA, SAS.
- Clear understanding of sport for development programming.
- Knowledge of child development.
- Knowledge of holistic programming in developing countries.
- Able to communicate technical findings (verbal, written report, presentation, multi media, etc.) to a variety of stakeholders – donors, management & Board, program staff, fundraisers, marketing, governments, colleagues, mass market via web sites.
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to facilitate learning using participatory techniques
COMPETENCIES / PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
Planning & Organizing
- Monitors the external environment and recommends appropriate changes to operational plans or the organization’s strategic plan.
- Translates and aligns the organizational strategic goals into concrete operational plans for the department that are 3-5 years into the future. Develops and uses monitoring systems to organize and keep track of performance and progress.
Financial & Business Acumen
- Successfully establishes budgets that reflect the department’s goals. Produces reasonable projections, what-if scenarios, and contingencies as required.
- Implements and oversees monitoring and audit procedures to ensure actual expenditures to budget.
- Analyzes the implications of proposals for change and makes authoritative recommendations.
- Assesses impact (cost, risks etc) associated with changes to current processes, systems, services or operations.
- Ensures approved change initiatives are implemented and sustained.
- Is able to work effectively with ambiguity, where full information cannot be known or anticipated or where data is questionable.
- Ensures the knowledge of the unit is captured, shared with others and used in making new decisions.
- Seeks out knowledge in various areas of the organization.
- Ensures that the organization continually builds on its current knowledge base.
Values & Ethics
- Understands and behaves in accordance with Right To Play’s mission, vision, values, Code of Conduct, Child Protection Policy and other relevant standards.
- Maintains high personal standards of ethics and integrity and honours commitments.
- Does not discriminate based on race, sex, colour, national or ethnic origin, religion, marital status, family status, age, sexual orientation or disability; is against harassment and bullying.
Relationship Building/Conflict Resolution
- Identifies and pursues opportunities to build and strengthen partnerships and alliances that are mutually advantageous and support strategic interests of Right To Play both nationally and internationally.
- Spoken and written communications involve presenting and discussing concepts and ideas with a sophisticated audience who themselves bring considerable knowledge about the subject matter to the interaction.
- Uses developed persuasive skills to convince others to accept recommendations that will involve their considerable support or commitment. Is able to provide strong arguments that will change firmly held opinions or positions to ones that will better advance the organization’s interests. Anticipates and manages related conflicts
- Communicates a compelling vision that generates excitement, enthusiasm and commitment to the group’s mission, purpose and goals
- Understands and demonstrates the importance of integration between departments and across functional areas inside RTP.
- Understands and demonstrates the importance of partnerships and collaborative activities between RTP and other key international organizations, governments, donors and partners.
Travel: This position requires approximately 15 % travel to RTP project locations.
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
Employment Start Date: TBD
Contract Duration: Full-time, unlimited term.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and kindly include “Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist- DevEx” in the subject line.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. To learn more about who we are and what we do, please visit our website at www.righttoplay.com. To learn about our Human Resources philosophy, please visit the Careers page at our website.Application Deadline