ABA ROLI, Senior Technical Advisor, Commercial Law
ABA Rule of Law Initiative
ABA ROLI is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor for Commercial Law for a proposed USG award. The Senior Technical Advisor will act as ABA’s lead for the Commercial Law component of a larger award, and will oversee a team of local staff as well as short- and long- term technical advisors. They will be part of the management team of the overall program and be responsible for the achievement of key deliverables. They must have strong program and operational management experience, as well as deep knowledge of commercial law frameworks, particularly in the MENA. Must have experience developing and implementing programs to stimulate private sector growth and job creation through improving policies, laws, regulations and administrative practices that enhance the business enabling environment. In addition, experience advocating for consensus among various stakeholders and identifying opportunities and champions for reform, as well as advising on policy reforms, capacity-building in legal drafting for new laws and regulations, and assisting in the implementation of new commercial laws is needed.
- Responsible for the development, oversight, and management of special projects related to a particular substantive area.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and advisor/resource for DC and field staff, particularly for program and proposal development.
- Develops and assists in the coordination and management of US and field-based special events and regional workshops.
- Directs efforts to investigate and pursue program development/expansion opportunities and coordinates the development and maintenance of relationships with U.S.-based funders/partners. Assists in the development and maintenance of funder/partner relationships in the field.
- Supports the regional divisions in the identification, recruitment, and orientation of individuals to be posted in DC or in the field to relevant positions.
- Provides subject matter expertise as a speaker/presenter at international conferences/symposia, authors academic articles, pursues leadership roles in appropriate boards and committees, and participates in the international efforts to develop standards on rule of law reform.
- Manages relevant substantive practice group.
- Prepares U.S. and field-based assessments of draft law, concept papers, and research.
- Coordinates the implementation and management of relevant assessment tools and methodologies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or recognized foreign law school, or possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least ten years’ experience in one or more thematic areas.
- At least eight years’ experience in international development.
- Experience working in conflict or post-conflict transitional environments.
- Arabic language ability a plus.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit an application on our website here.
Start date: 04/08/2019
Application Deadline: 03/29/2019