Advocacy Campaign Manager
Equidem Research and Consulting Limited
Advocacy Campaign Manager
Temporary (~12 weeks), Full-time, US$2k per week plus $25k success fee (or more for an exceptional candidate). Can begin immediately or, for an exceptional candidate, when available through April.
Equidem is a London-based human rights research, consulting and advocacy firm. We are seeking a US-based campaign manager (the “Advocate”) to execute a ~12-week campaign to defend the rights of migrant domestic workers in Asia.
Migrant domestic workers in Asia are frequently charged large illegal fees by employment agencies which can lead to debt slavery. These fees are one of the reasons the US State Department and various human rights groups rank Hong Kong among the worst offenders for human trafficking.
This campaign focuses on one very narrow element of the problem where various US-headquartered institutions have substantial influence. The advocate will contact at least 25 of these institutions to advocate for the specified goals. The primary argument is that the broad spirit of their anti-slavery and related ESG pledges requires them to take action to prevent their own operations from contributing in any way to these offences.
The specified goals are achievable because the “ask” is small and there is already substantial demonstrated sympathy for this issue among these institutions. Many have already made public statements and taken concrete action in support of the project goals. A recent campaign targeting similar institutions achieved considerable success. If the Advocate achieves the same, the US$25k success fee will be earned.
This is not a research or advisory position. The job is direct engagement with ESG and other senior officers at the target institutions. The underlying research and the case to be made is largely complete. The Advocate will be provided with research and administrative assistance so time can be allocated exclusively to direct communications with the target audience.
The Advocate will need to demonstrate passion, energy and a proven record of successful persuasion i.e., getting people to do things that otherwise would not be a priority. The advocate must have “gravitas” which in this context means having built their own reputation, contacts, and leverage in finance, government, or human rights advocacy. Demonstrated access to the media is a major plus. Simply having relevant job experience will not likely be enough.
Other key points:
- The anticipated compensation is US$2k per week with and the potential for a US$25k success fee.
- This is a full-time position with an initial term of 12 weeks. The work can begin immediately. If the effort is succeeding, it may continue for an additional year.
- The candidate should have at least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Ideally the candidate would live on the East Coast but not absolutely necessary.
- The Advocate will report to our client’s Executive Director but must have sufficient experience to work independently
- Able to engage with the senior people at our target institutions.
- Understand the importance rolling up their sleeves and doing the work e.g., making the calls to target institutions.
- Willing to work to the defined strategy already developed.
How To Apply
Type: Full Time, Temporary