Chief of Party, Niger
Search For Common Ground
Search is seeking an experienced leader for an anticipated multi-year regional project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) targeting multiple regions in Niger.
The primary goal of this Activity is to reduce vulnerability to violent extremism by strengthening tools to address core grievances that drive extremism in VE prone areas of Niger. This will include: (1) strengthening the conflict mediation and dispute resolution capacity of customary justice and other informal structures at the local level, (2) improving access to the formal justice system through legal assistance, awareness raising, and targeted efforts to link citizens with the formal justice system, and (3) strengthened GoN and CSO ability to address human rights violations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the relationship and act as the primary point of contact with USAID and project partners with regards to activity implementation, compliance, collaboration, and management matters relating to the project.
- Provide technical oversight, administration, fiscal management, and grant and contract administration and management, assuring quality, impact and cost effectiveness of the project.
- Hold overall responsibility for assuring that all assistance provided under the award is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed and for adequately managing and supervising the work of all field staff, long‐term staff, short‐term staff, consortium partners, and/or sub‐partners, as proposed.
- Effectively implement the project vision through overseeing the delivery of (1) strengthen the conflict mediation and dispute resolution capacity of customary justice and other informal structures at the local level, (2) improve access to the formal justice system through legal assistance, awareness raising, and targeted efforts to link citizens with the formal justice system, and (3) strengthen NGO and CSO ability to address human rights violations.
- Oversee multiple activities simultaneously, including hiring, training, mentoring, and supervising local personnel.
- Provide strong senior leadership and strategic direction to the project team and as consortium lead, including relationship management with key stakeholders and project partners
- Assemble and motivate a team of local staff and short-term advisors, and effectively supervise project personnel
- Liaise with Search’s internal teams including Niger team, regional team (Dakar-based) and global HQ teams in Washington DC.
- Represent Search and the project at high level events and meetings, including public speaking engagements on relevant topic areas.
- Master’s degree (or higher) in Peace and Conflict Studies, Development, Political Science, International Affairs, Social Sciences, or other relevant subjects
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience, with at least 5 years of senior management experience in justice, peace and security sectors
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience managing subgrants and contracts under grants for complex projects. Proven ability to manage all aspects of grant and contract administration, and technical assistance staff with a commitment to teamwork
- Professional experience and knowledge of Niger’s political and civil society landscape and deep familiarity with access to justice, human rights and conflict resolution issues.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with U.S. Government international assistance program requirements, preferably USAID. Senior management level experience (Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party or Senior Advisor) of a USAID project is a significant advantage.
- Proven ability to manage technical assistance teams and leading multidisciplinary teams while developing a common vision.
- Professional experience and knowledge of Niger and Experience in West Africa is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to foster a culture of respect and inclusion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, and French
How To Apply
Type: Full Time