Consultant: Final Evaluation of the Project
Search For Common Ground
Search for Common Ground (Search) is seeking a consultant or firm to carry out the final evaluation of a 24-month program “Peace by Piece: Driving Community-Level Peace and Reconciliation in Afghanistan” implemented in six target locations across five provinces in the country. Following the program, we are primarily interested in understanding the effectiveness, lessons learned, and outcomes of the initiative. We want to explore the specific comparisons across target locations, gender, age, and education.
Search is an international conflict transformation NGO that aims to transform the way individuals, groups, governments and companies deal with conflict, away from adversarial approaches and towards collaborative solutions. Headquartered in Washington DC, USA, and Brussels, Belgium, with 52 field offices in 35 countries, Search designs and implements multifaceted, culturally appropriate and conflict-sensitive programs using a diverse range of tools, including media and training, to promote dialogue, increase knowledge and determine a positive shift in behaviors. In mid-2019, Search opened its office in Afghanistan and was registered as an International NGO with the Afghan government.
Peace by Piece: Driving Community-Level Peace and Reconciliation in Afghanistan was a 24-month program (Sep 2019 – Sep 2020) implemented by Search Afghanistan and its local partner organization, The Liaison Office (TLO). The project aimed to build a greater understanding of the ripeness for peace and effective, locally-rooted approaches to achieve it in Afghanistan.
Objectives of Study:
Search as an organization is committed to conducting evaluations for projects in order to maximize the effectiveness of its programming and engage in continuous improvement and learning within programmes and across the organization. The objective of this study is to draw lessons that can inform development of similar future programs by Search and other stakeholders. This evaluation includes three specific objectives:
- To measure to what extent the project has achieved its targets;
- To assess the project effectiveness vis-a-vis project TOC, goal and Objectives;
- To identify lessons learned and draw recommendations
Search expects the following deliverables from the external consultant(s) as they correspond to the timeline and budget:
- An inception report detailing the methodology, detailed data collection tools and timeline;
- Any necessary training of data collectors or set-up of systems for data collection;
- Supervision and participation in data collection; The qualitative data should be collected by the core members of the evaluation team.
- Oversight of data coding and analysis;
- All original data submitted to Search;
- A draft evaluation report in English, for review by Search staff and partners;
- A final report in English (40 pages max in length, excluding appendices) consistent with Search branding and standards for evaluation.
The following skills and experience are expected of the evaluator:
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken) and local languages, Dari and Pashto
- More than 5 years of experience in project evaluation, including collecting data in interviews, surveys and focus groups;
- Experience in conflict analysis and working with peacebuilding and conflict transformation sectors;
- Experience working with international organizations;
- Experience conducting quantitative surveys and analysis;
- Evaluation methods and data collection skills;
- Familiarity and experience with contextual challenges in the geographic location(s) where the study will take place.
How To Apply
To apply, interested candidates (individuals, teams or firms) are requested to submit the following two documents through email to email@example.com, and copy in firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line must be ‘PBP Final Evaluation’; otherwise, the application might not be considered:
- Curriculum vitae
- A technical proposal proposing a methodology for the final evaluation together with a financial proposal for the completion of the aforementioned deliverables and a short cover letter
- Two samples of evaluations or other reports completed by the consultant within the last 2 years
Note: Only three documents can be submitted, so the technical and financial proposals must be combined, along with the short cover letter. In case more than one consultant is involved, please clearly identify the roles (lead consultant, data collectors, etc.) and combine the curricula vitae into a single file. The sample evaluations or other reports completed by the consultant (lead consultant) within the last two years should be also combined, and the link to online publication (if available) should also be included in the same file.
To apply, please visit:
Application Deadline: 10/15/2020