Country Director – Iraq
Search For Common Ground
The Country Director manages the overall program in Iraq from a programmatic and operational perspective, as well as leading on fundraising and donor relations. Principle tasks will be to oversee the start-up phase, manage the entire portfolio, determine appropriate implementing mechanisms to achieve projects’ strategic goals, serve as the primary program liaison for donors, partners and stakeholders in the country, oversee planning and budgeting, and reporting/evaluations, ensuring compliance with management and financial procedures. The position will report to the MENA Regional Director based in Amman.
Roles and responsibilities include:
Program Development and Implementation
- Define programme priorities, plans and long-term strategy (in close collaboration with the Search Regional Director); manage and modify their implementation as necessary.
- Establish and sustain Search’s office in Iraq
- Manage the country program with the highest quality standards and well-documented results
- Ensure that program planning and management reflects the available resources, and respond to gaps with fundraising and/or operational adjustments as needed
- Reporting to donors based on a credible monitoring and evaluation system for overall program results as well as for specific projects
- Stay abreast of the international conflict resolution field to ensure that the program’s work remains innovative and professional
- Be directly engaged in the continuing development of the organization, its mission and its staff, through the sharing of experience and knowledge, particularly contributing to its Institutional Learning efforts
- Strengthen existing funding relationships and identify and pursue new potential donors in collaboration with headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium
- In partnership with the Country Finance Director, ensure financial compliance both with the Iraqi laws, donor requirements and Search procedures across the organization.
- Identify potential shortfalls and strategize with the organization’s senior management as necessary to ensure the program’s financial sustainability.
Staff Management and Development
- Develop and manage a team of diverse staff members and partners, modeling the kind of multi-cultural cooperation that Search aims to promote widely
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of highly qualified staff, providing information on country living and working conditions as well as security briefings
- Strengthen the capacity of national staff and partners
- Ensure compliance with Search Operations Manual policies and procedures
- Ensure that country policies, contracts, and disciplinary procedures and processes conform to local labor laws
- Oversee the security management in the Country Office and ensure that an updated security and evacuation plans are in place
- Serve as Search’s country representative
- Develop and maintain proactive, positive and professional relationships with partner organizations, other NGOs, donors, clients, key government officials, civil society groups, etc.
- Maintain responsible media coverage of program events and issues related to Search mission
- Maintain regular written and oral reporting to Washington and Brussels on key country, regional, program, security and staff issues
- Establish a direct line of communication with other MENA Country Directors in the region for program learning and cross-fertilization towards strategic initiatives
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (eg. conflict transformation, international development, security studies, media and communications, sociology, political science, or related fields)
- At least 7 years’ experience in managing teams and projects with multiple grants and donors, experience managing a program, both programmatically and operationally, preferably on media and/or conflict transformation-related issues
- Knowledge of the conflict dynamics in the region, and specifically in Iraq
- Track record in successful fundraising
- Experience with donor regulations
- Experience in capturing results and overseeing reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems
- Experience in managing multi-cultural teams, preferably in MENA
- Professional-level competency in English
- Arabic fluency is highly desirable
Skills and Competencies
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- A problem-solving approach to challenging situations
- Ability to multi-task while leading a complex team
- Willingness to regularly travel on short notice around the country
This position will close on November 10, 2018.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
How To Apply
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover letter
Type: Full Time
Application Deadline: 11/10/2018