Design, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer – Arabian Peninsula
Search For Common Ground
Search for Common Ground(Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict—away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 700 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
Search seeks a DM&E Officer for the Institutional Learning Team to support Search’s Monitoring and Evaluation work in the Middle East and North Africa with specific support to the Arabian Peninsula region and the Yemen country office. Supervised by the MENA Regional DM&E Specialist, the ILT DM&E Officer will be responsible for supporting the quality of monitoring and evaluation and for reinforcing project learning.
The ILT Design Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be based in Washington, DC or Brussels, Belgium with occasional travel to Search’s regional office in Amman, Jordan, and to Yemen. The ILT DM&E Officer should be ready to begin work by August 2020.
Key area 1: Ensure quality, sustainable and effective monitoring and evaluation
- Provide ongoing high-level technical review and revision support in monitoring and evaluation and research to Country Programs: data collection tools, data collection methods, conflict sensitivity and “Do No Harm”, quantitative and qualitative data analysis, etc.
- Support country office M&E team in implementing Search’s M&E standards around project planning meetings, baseline studies, data collection tools, monitoring missions, evaluations and learning
- Proactively coordinate with programme teams to ensure that M&E data collection and reporting are aligned with activity implementation schedules. Adjust research and M&E work plan as needed to align with any changes in activity schedules
- Capture strategic and priority needs on country level in close coordination with Country Director, Head of programmes, DME Manager to support ongoing programme improvements and learning using existing coordination mechanisms and channels with the wider MENA regional and ILT teams
- Provide capacity building and support to staff and partners in research, monitoring, capturing results and formulate learning outcomes
- Support recruitment and management of external consultants for specific projects
- Support DME teams in writing high quality reports shareable with Search’s partners
Key area 2: Create a culture where DME is valued, supported and recognized
- Provide onboarding and training to new DME staff in the country programs
- Strategize for capacity building and learning needs of M&E and program teams
- Organize regular structures for enhanced collaboration between DME and program staff (design meetings, channels for on-going communication during project, reflections, etc.)
- Support country learning practices
- Graduate-level education and/or relevant work experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Methods in international development, peacebuilding, conflict resolution, or other related fields or;
- MA/S or equivalent in social science, communication, arts, management, governance, international development
- At least three years of experience designing and administering monitoring and evaluation tools, analyzing data and writing M&E reports
- Experience in managing research and final evaluations
- Relevant experience in coordination or management-level position
- Experience in capacity-building and offering training in DME-related fields
- Professional proficiency in Yemeni Arabic
- Understand peacebuilding concepts and programming
- Good understanding of conflict sensitivity and research ethics.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A Learner, a Common grounder, able to build bridges across stakeholders with different needs and interests
- Ability to work in the United States
- Excellent written and oral skills in English and Modern Standard Arabic – ability to draft, edit, and proofread.
- Extensive experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection
- Excellent computer skills (including Word, Excel, various Web 2.0 tools, qualitative and quantitative data analysis software)
- Proactive attitude and ability to work independently and in a team
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Creative and thorough approach to work
- Interest in evaluation of conflict resolution interventions
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed
Type: Full Time