Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist – Tunisia (3 months)
Search For Common Ground
Search for Common Ground – Tunisia (Search-Tunisia) is currently implementing in partnership with FHI360 the USAID-funded Ma3an program, which aims to increase the capacity of communities to withstand political, social, and economic stresses and shocks by achieving the objectives of: 1) strengthened community resilience, 2) mitigated community vulnerabilities, and 3) improved capacity of Tunisian partners to sustain and replicate the model. Ma3an will spur 30 of Tunisia’s most vulnerable communities to action and generate sustainable resources for development in areas that are vulnerable to instability. Together with USAID-Tunisia’s programs in accountability, decentralization, and youth entrepreneurship (i.e., TADAEEM and Mashrou3i), Ma3an will consolidate democratic progress while fostering social cohesion in target areas.
Search in Tunisia
Search’s mission in Tunisia is to promote the culture of dialogue and diversity through the involvement of all parts of society while building their capacities. Search works in Tunisia to help members of Tunisian society to address conflicts and differences constructively through cooperation and dialogue. Search-Tunisia works across multiple channels, mainly with youth, CSOs, media actors, security forces, and local authorities to build the capacity of individuals and institutions to address challenges including differences and acting on common points. Through this approach and partnerships, Search-Tunisia has four main strategic objectives: (i) promoting peace education; (ii) fostering non-violent social dialogue; (iii) enhancing participatory and inclusive governance; and (iv) transforming violent extremism. More information about our Tunisia program can be found here.
About the Consultancy
As part of the Ma3an program, Search-Tunisia seeks to procure the services of (an) external independent Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist who will provide GESI training and mentoring for Ma3an staff and local partners and work closely with the Ma3an and Search-Tunisia senior management to develop the Ma3an GESI strategy.
The consultancy will last for approximately 3 months, from February to April 2019. The consultant will be required to work from the Ma3an Tunis office (if Tunis-based) or travel frequently to Tunis for the period of the consultancy (if based outside of Tunis/Tunisia). S/he will report to the Ma3an Senior Technical Advisor and Search-Tunisia Country Director and work closely with the Ma3an Senior Technical Advisor, the Ma3an Deputy Chief of Party, and the Search-Ma3an Team Leader.
Scope of Work
The scope of this assignment includes the following activities:
- Develop an inception report that provides a clear methodology and work plan for the design and development of the Ma3an GESI strategy, building on USAID’s GESI strategy and policies and featuring a training program for Ma3an staff and local partners. (February 2019)
- Design and deliver a training program for Ma3an staff and local partners on GESI methodologies and provide ongoing technical support and guidance as needed over the consultancy period. (March 2019, dates tbc in close consultation with Ma3an team)
- Design and develop, in close collaboration with the Ma3an Senior Technical Specialist and Deputy Chief of Party, the Ma3an GESI strategy, providing a clear framework for potential needed adjustment of strategy after implementation and learning. (March-April 2019)
- Provide technical design and implementation support to local partners and regional staff in GESI approaches and methodologies. (Since start of contract and throughout duration of contract)
- Support the monitoring, evaluation, and learning (ME&L) team and program staff in integrating a Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) GESI approach into community-level program activities. (Since start of contract and throughout duration of contract)
- Collaborate with the Ma3an Communications Specialist to find and post relevant resources and events on the Ma3an Facebook page. (Since start of contract and throughout duration of contract)
Deliverables & Payment Schedule
The following deliverables and payment structure are expected from this consultancy:
|No||Deliverable||Due Date||Payment Schedule|
|1||Inception report, including methodology and work plan for GESI strategy development||February 22, 2019||35% of total contract (after completion and approval of deliverable 1)|
|2||Training agenda and module content for training program on GESI methodologies||March 1, 2019||Note: exact training dates will be decided later, in close consultation with Ma3an team|
|3||Outline of Ma3an GESI strategy||March 15, 2019|
|4||Report on delivery of training program, including recommendations for program improvement and adaptation||April 1, 2019||35% of total contract (after completion and approval of deliverables 1-4)|
|5||Draft Ma3an GESI strategy||April 12, 2019|
|6||Final Ma3an GESI strategy, with feedback by Ma3an team incorporated||April 26, 2019||30% of total contract (after completion and approval of deliverables 1-6)|
The selection of the consultant will be determined based on the financial proposal, technical proposal, previous experience and skills of the proposed consultant(s), and an interview.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Advanced university degree in International Relations, Human & Social Sciences, Gender Studies or a related field.
- At least 7 years of professional experience with at least 3 years in a senior technical role on donor-funded programs related to Gender Equality and Social Inclusion, community development, youth engagement, local governance, or civil society strengthening projects, preferably in the MENA region. Prior experience working on USAID-funded projects highly desirable.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience developing GESI strategies for international development projects.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience designing and delivering GESI training programs for different stakeholders, from the creation of the training agenda and module content to the development of all training resources and materials.
- Demonstrated training skills and experience in building capacities of civil society organizations on gender and social inclusion
- Strong technical expertise in Gender Equality and Social Inclusion and conflict mitigation approaches.
- Good understanding of the political and social context and gender dynamics in Tunisia would be an asset.
- Good knowledge of USAID policies and strategies relating to Gender Equality and Social Inclusion.Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Good experience utilizing several different training methodologies, particularly highly interactive methodologies that significantly engage participants.
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office or other similar software.
- Experience working in an international NGO environment highly desirable.
- Fluent in written and oral Arabic and English; proficiency in French would be an asset.
This posting will close on February 6, 2019.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send their applications (in English or French) via e-mail to email@example.com, using as email subject “GESI Specialist Consultancy” and including the following:
- Cover letter and current resume.
- Technical proposal, including suggested short methodology for GESI strategy development and training, timeline, minimum three (3) previous performance references (maximum one page each) of similar work conducted in the field of GESI strategy design and/or GESI training, minimum three (3) organizational/institutional reference contacts who can speak to the quality of the consultant’s work. The whole technical proposal package should not exceed 8 pages.
- Financial proposal, with a detailed breakdown of costs related to salary, travel, expenses, activity costs.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
Application Deadline: 02/06/2019
1601 Connecticut Ave, Ste 200,20009 Washington DC,United States