Head of Office
Search For Common Ground
Reporting to the Country Director, the Head of Office will work closely with the Country Director and lead the implementation and grants management of multi-pronged peacebuilding and media projects, ensuring robust donor and financial compliance, measurement and capturing of results, strong collaboration with partners. S/he will ensure the application of best practices of the peacebuilding field, and lead the strategic direction of Search Myanmar programs, to ensure relevance to the shifting context. S/he will also serve on the Leadership Management Team of Search Myanmar.
Search for Common Ground (Search):
Search is the world’s largest and oldest international non-profit peacebuilding organization, which promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict—away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. Established in 1982, Search today has more than 900 committed staff worldwide and implements projects in more than 35 countries across the globe.
In Myanmar, Search has been working since 2014 to support locally led processes at different levels of society in order to transform approaches to dealing with conflict. Search Myanmar has been supporting an inclusive peace process at the local level, and skills building and trust building with and between a multitude of stakeholders, including government, the private sector, the media, and civil society including women, youth and minorities. Search Myanmar works with local partners across six states and three regions to support Myanmar in its priorities of peace, development and democratic change.
Search Myanmar is at an exciting stage and is reaching a new level of growth, scaling up its programmatic work, team, office and operations to support its strategy in the country to support Myanmar in its priorities of peace, development and democratic change.
- Oversight of Program Implementation
- Leadership of satellite office as a component to the country office
- Leadership for staffing, operations, and employee development
- Program Implementation: coordinate development of inter-project synergies
- Reporting: Ensure project reporting is completed according to established timeline and requirements; contribute to country Quarterly Management Report (QMR)
- Compliance: Monitor internal policy and donor compliance; address serious compliance issues when raised; oversee management of office legal issues and compliance
- Financial management: Oversee management of office legal issues and compliance; review costed work plans and Budget versus Actuals (BvAs); review budget realignments; enforce finance policies and procedures; ensure program-finance team coordination
- Sub-award management: Ensure sub-awards are managed according to Search and donor policies; oversee partnerships strategies and selection processes; address and problem solve partnership management issues when raised
- Personnel management: Supervise Managers; Support Managers’ capacity building in people management; Monitor team management and address management issues; Participate in Manager-level recruitments; Ensure Development and Evaluation Process (DEP) is followed by all Managers; Develop office staffing plans; Support adherence to HR policies and processes in the office
- External engagement: Lead coordination and partnership building with International and National Non-Governmental Organizations (I/NGOs); Represent Search at national events
- Program management, quality, and project design: Ensure program quality, reflection, and learning initiatives take place in coordination with Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team; Participate in new project design; Participate in proposal review teams; Review new project budgets
- Operations: Member of the Senior Management Team (SMT); Provide inputs to strategy development and planning; Contribute to country Objectives and Key Results (OKR) development; Manage and oversee compliance with donor regulations and local law. Make sure we are registered where we need to be and we have all legal authorization and access; Inform adaptation of operations and logistics systems to fit the needs of the office; Ensure systems can support quality program implementation; Ensure program team follows system structures/policies; Ensure safety and security protocols are in place and followed; Management of the operational presence of country teams; Infuses organizational values into all work
Competency Behavior Indicators (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Works collaboratively with senior managers and colleagues sharing senior expertise; builds teams for successful implementation of projects and programs.
- Effectively influences vendors, organizations, professional associations, partners, funders, and Search’s network of experts critical to the area of purview.
- Makes decisions on existing information when it may not be complete.
- Adapts to the personal style and preferences of colleagues to assess their needs and preferences; tolerates ambiguity.
- Articulates Search/function program/project goals and objectives within and external to Search; develops program objectives, indicators, and results; and participates in strategy development for the team.
- Provides input for standards across functions globally within Shared Services teams with the ability to create a best fit that considers international norms and compliance while supporting an organizational culture for work.
- Overcomes obstacles, including personal biases, by following Search’s ethics code in complex situations; displayed in activities as ethical principles and values that guide professional interactions.
- Assesses risks and opportunities in a complex environment and convenes discussions to lead to a favorable outcome.
- Establishes tools to monitor quality of work and verification of information.
- Has knowledge of project management tools including technology as resources and applies delegation skills to support the development of others, as well as the building of efficiency and reduction of stress.
- Supports employees in their efforts to achieve job goals (e.g., by providing resources, removing obstacles, acting as a buffer).
- Engages with Shared Services teams, cross-functional teams, and colleagues to produce innovative solutions.
- Uses analysis (costs, benefits, risks) to manage within a global standards and best practices framework.
- Guides colleagues, Shared Services teams, cross-functional teams, and direct reports toward learning resources for purposes of broadening skill sets and understanding for continued growth in both breadth and depth of knowledge for organizational functions, standards, and objectives.
Type and Nature of Contacts:
- Routinely coordinates with colleagues and consultants on-site and in the field and resolves problem situations with tact.
- Represents, as assigned, selected programs or projects and other organizations, including donors, vendors, and international and local partners.
- Interacts with the country office and regional staff.
Education and Experience:
- Typically BS/BA with minimum 12 years’ experience
How To Apply
To apply, interested candidates should:
Send a cover letter and current resume, as soon as possible.
Include the following in your cover letter:
- Your relevant experience and knowledge, with reference to the job advertisement
- Minimum salary requirements.
Type: Full Time
Application Deadline: 10/31/2021