Internal Controller – DRC
Search For Common Ground
As a support to regional finance team, the Internal controller will report to Regional Director-Central and Southern Africa and dotted reporting line to Country Director-DRC. The Internal Controller will work in close collaboration with Finance Director-DRC, Regional Program Manager and Project Finance Manager/Regional Controller (Central and Southern Africa). S/he will be responsible to audit high risk transactions, verify policy compliance, conduct internal investigations and recommend and implement corrective measures. This will include identifying any capacity gaps and delivering appropriate solutions and capacity building of country team.
The Internal Controller will work in collaboration with senior country finance staff and ensure compliance with financial policies, standards and procedures, coaching and mentoring programme, finance and operations staff to effect a positive culture shift in relation to compliance.
The roles and responsibilities include:
- Work in close collaboration with DRC Finance Director and Country Director to undertake internal audit to analyze high risk processes and practices, identify inefficient or unclear financial, operational and administrative systems and workflows and uncover potential patterns of mismanagement.
- Recommend corrective actions to the Regional Director and Project Finance Manager and implement appropriate solutions
- Visit field offices and field activities in the region to identify financial weaknesses and risks. Prepare trip reports for each assignment and submit to Country Directors and Regional Director.
- Oversee the vendor pre-selection process for all DRC offices
- Support country and regional team with financial analysis
- Support Country team in compliance with policies and procedures
- Review admin-finance and operations manuals in the region and revise as required ensuring compliance with global policy and local law
- Review and revise the country authority matrix in compliance with global policy and best practice.
- Work closely with logistic/procurement department to ensure that procurements meet standards and Proper inventory listings are maintained and checked.
- Provide training and support to finance and non-finance staff regarding generally accepted financial procedures and SFCG internal controls.
- Maintain open communication with Finance, program staff and others for all financial clarifications;
- Undertake control missions to other countries in the region as assigned by the PFM or the RD.
- Any other duties assigned by Regional Director.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or Accounting
- Auditing Degree or similar qualification would be preferred
- Minimum of 5 years within an international NGO, international organization or international audit firm as internal controller
- Proven capacity in conducting internal and/or external audits preferred
- Experience living or working in the DRC or other complex operating environments an advantage
Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Value strict compliance to policy and practice detail
- Very strong financial analysis skills
- High personal integrity
- Good knowledge of financial reporting systems in donor-funded entities
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent computer skills with hands on experience on digital and online accounting systems; and Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Fluency in written and spoken French and working proficiency in English required
How To Apply
- current resume
- cover letter
Deadline for Application is November 15th 2019.
Type: Full Time
Application Deadline: 11/15/2019