Search for Common Ground
Search for Common Ground is one of the largest international NGOs working on peacebuilding and conflict transformation. We work in 49 countries around the world with over 700 staff. At the HQ in Washington there are approximately 40 full-time staff.
While COVID-19 restrictions are being phased out, this internship will not require in-office hours and remote work is acceptable.
The Institutional Learning Team
The Institutional Learning Team (ILT) sits at the heart of the organization. The Team is led by the Director of DM&E in Brussels and the Senior Program Manager, based in DC. ILT includes DME Specialists, Coordinators, & Associates around the world, and includes the DME for Peace Team.
ILT is a fun team to be part of and undertakes projects that span the full spectrum of work of the organization and emerging M&E practice with partners. ILT works across every program at Search for Common Ground (Search) either on Design, Monitoring & Evaluation (DM&E) related issues or on learning and cross-fertilization related themes.
DME for PeaceDME for Peace (Design, Monitoring & Evaluation for Peace) is an open-source platform that provides over 6,000 peacebuilders, evaluators, and academics with an interactive space to share best and emerging practices on how to design, monitor, and evaluate peace and development programs.With nearly 6000 subscribers, 1500+ resources, blog posts, and webinars on the M&E of peacebuilding and development programs, a global mentorship program, and a platform designed to accommodate users in locations with low bandwidth, DME for Peace has made monitoring and evaluation learning accessible to users in over 190 countries.Job DescriptionSupervised by the DME for Peace Senior Communications Associate, Search seeks one (1) Social Media & Communications Intern (DME for Peace) for Fall 2021 on the Institutional Learning Team.
We want our interns to have as rich of an experience as possible. Toward this end, we ask every intern to develop a set of strategic learning objectives at the beginning of their internship with their manager, outlining their key learning and professional development needs. ILT staff will work with you to ensure assignments are relevant to these learning objectives, to any practicum or school-related objectives, and that you continue to grow throughout your internship.
If you are a student and would like to earn course credit from your internship, we are willing to work with you to develop a rigorous workload that is relevant to your field of study and professional interests.
This internship requires a minimum commitment of 3 days per week.
DME for Peace Intern Responsibilities
- Implement DME for Peace’s social media strategy by creating and posting daily content on social media platforms, as determined by the strategy’s social media calendar. All posts will be monitored by the Communications & Learning Officer;
- Track all social media and website traffic analytics – keep spreadsheets up-to-date;
- Work with the Communications & Learning Officer to find trends within the social media and website analytics, feeding into ongoing updates and improvements to the overall social media & content strategies;
- Support the continued development of the platform’s resource library – identify and upload resources, while making sure they are SEO optimized;Co-develop & carry out DME for Peace’s monthly content strategy;
- Write first drafts for certain email campaigns using Salsa and Mailchimp platforms;
- Work with the Communications & Learning Officer to brainstorm new and creative ways to diversify social media content, increase website traffic, and test email campaigns;
- Design infographics, graphics, and data visualization materials for dissemination by DME for Peace and the Institutional Learning Team at Search for Common Ground; and,
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the DME for Peace website (www.dmeforpeace.org);
- Research emerging practices in DM&E, lessons learned from peace and development programs, key evaluation findings, etc.;
- Organize and support (virtual) meetings, take notes, and provide logistical support for the DM&E team;
- Current undergraduate student or recent graduate
- Experience in graphic design or creating infographics;
- Creative; artistic; knowledge of trending styles;
- Interest, education, or experience in social media, communications, and/or marketing
- Interest in the peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development fields;
- Interest, education, or experience working with trending social media platforms & analyzing supporting data (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.);
- Experience in information gathering and research – book, journal, and internet;
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills and the ability to draft, edit and proofread; and,
- Excellent computer skills (including Word, Excel, various Web 2.0 tools, Google Drive)
- Familiarity with Google Analytics is a plus;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator) a plus;
- Familiarity with Adobe Dreamweaver, WordPress, and web design are a plus;
- Proactive attitude and ability to work independently and in a team;
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
- Creative and thorough approach to work; and,Interest in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of peacebuilding programming
How To Apply
The intern should be able to commit to working for Search for a minimum of 3 days per week in the office for at least a 3-month initial period.
To apply please submit your (1) Cover Letter, and (2) Resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
In your cover letter, please clearly state why this position is of interest, what you can bring to it and what you hope to gain from it. If applicable, please list any other divisions you have applied to within Search. Please clearly state if you are seeking course credit from this internship and any requirements your University may have for such work. Also, please include the date you can start work, the length of your availability (in months), and the number of hours per week to which you can commit.
Please note this is an unpaid internship.
Please apply through our website https://jobs.lever.co/sfcg/ce5d75b1-dbea-4451-a1ff-2b777e1a92d3?lever-origin=applied&lever-source%5B%5D=DME