Senior Program Officer for Women’s Inclusion
The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
PERIOD OF CONTRACT: Permanent contract
ACTIVITY RATE: 100 %
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: 18-06-2017
IPTI is a knowledge center at the Graduate Institute dedicated to evidence-based research and its transfer to policy and practice.
The objective of the initiative is to support sustainable peace and transition processes by providing expertise and information on inclusion and participation in political processes. This expertise is drawn from a collection of research projects that have been conducted for nearly a decade at the Graduate Institute in Geneva under the lead of Dr. Thania Paffenholz. These research results have created a high demand among policy makers and practitioners and have already been applied in many current peace processes. IPTI’s target audience includes international organizations, governments, non-governmental organizations, and conflict parties. IPTI does not implement field projects and supports policy and practice by collaborating with strategic and operational partners engaged in mediation, peacebuilding, human rights, women’s and gender issues, development, and humanitarian action.
IPTI’s main activity lines are: research, advisory support, training, events, and publishing. The initiative currently has a growing core team of 13 staff based in Geneva.
We are looking for a highly motivated and committed Senior Program Officer for Women’s Inclusion.
We offer a fast-paced, captivating, and flexible international working environment, where research is closely connected with current affairs and policy issues, in an institution renowned for research excellence, located in the Maison de la Paix (House of Peace) at the heart of International Geneva.
Mission and activities
The Senior Program Officer is expected to act as a resource of knowledge on what research, evidence and comparative experience can tell us about the active participation of women and other traditionally excluded actors in peace processes. This requires a keen understanding of the roles, tactics, and functions performed by women and other groups, and of the conditions under which these have been effective in contributing to sustainable peace. The candidate is expected to have a broad understanding of inclusion in political negotiations and peacebuilding. The Senior Program Officer is directly accountable to the Director.
The Senior Program Officer will have the following roles and responsibilities:
- Manage and act as a resource of knowledge for IPTI’s three year project in support of the implementation of UN Women’s program “Enhancing Women’s Leadership in the MENA Region”, which includes
- Offer research-based evidence and advice to strategic decision-making around ongoing peace processes with regard to inclusion, specifically on gender issues and women’s participation. This may involve advising negotiating parties, third parties and other stakeholders, including groups excluded from the political settlement process;
- Engage in and influence international and national policy-making processes, in particular making the case for women’s effective inclusion in phases of peace negotiations and implementation, by disseminating IPTI’s research findings;
- Support change in peacebuilding practices through the provision of direct advice to a broad range of IPTI’s partners on gender issues and women’s inclusion in mediation and peace process strategies;
- Represent IPTI in relevant meetings, workshops, and conferences, by giving presentations and inputs;
- Ensure IPTI’s involvement in international and Geneva-based networks related to mediation, peace processes, and gender;
- Develop and deliver trainings on women’s inclusion in mediation and peace processes, building on IPTI’s research and expertise;
- Contribute to setting IPTI’s research agenda and act as an in-house expert.
- A minimum of ten years of experience including field experience directly related to the International Women, Peace and Security agenda (UN resolution 1325 etc.) in a relevant institution (UN Agency; context specific international organization; international NGO or consultancy);
- Broad understanding of inclusion/participation beyond women;
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant field (qualifications in Women’s and/or Gender Studies would be a plus);
- Outstanding presentation, public speaking, facilitation, and moderation skills;
- Experience working in response to armed conflict and political crises will be an advantage;
- Knowledge and experience of all or part of North Africa and the Middle East is an advantage;
- Excellent spoken and written English is essential. Good spoken Arabic is considered a strong asset;
- Access to a wide range of women, peace and security networks at all levels (track I, II, and III);
- Experience conducting qualitative research/working in collaboration with research institutions;
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to make sound political judgements and adapt to ever-changing circumstances;
- A strong commitment to the mission of IPTI and in particular to gender equality;
- Candidates must have a valid Swiss work permit or EU / Swiss nationality.
What IPTI offers:
- A fascinating spectrum of professional experiences in a dynamic and fast-paced start-up environment with access to peace mediation opportunities, from local to high levels;
- The opportunity to shape a range of exciting international activities in support of mediation and peace processes;
- Work within a dynamic team of highly qualified professionals; including a research team that supports policy and practice work;
- Work independently as well as closely with IPTI’s Director;
- A stimulating academic and policy environment at the heart of international Geneva located in Maison de la Paix;
- More information at: inclusivepeace.org
For more information, candidates are encouraged to consult the Institute’s website: graduateinstitute.ch
Please note that offers received by post won’t be considered.
How To Apply
We look forward to receiving your online application:
To apply, please visit:
Type: Contract, Full Time
Application Deadline: 06/18/2017