Guidance Note #3: Introduction To Mixed Methods In Impact Evaluation
Part I. Why Mixed Methods?
- What is a mixed methods impact evaluation design?
- The limitations of an exclusive reliance on QUANT or QUAL evaluation approaches
- The benefits of a mixed methods approach
Part II. The Mixed Methods Approach
- Four decisions for designing a mixed methods evaluation
- Applying MM approaches at each stage of the evaluation
Part III. Applications of Mixed Methods Designs
- Sampling strategies for QUANT and WUAL oriented MM evaluations
- Using mixed methods to evaluate complex interventions
- Assessing processes of behavioral change
Part IV. Managing Mixed Methods Evaluations
- Mixed methods designs require a special management approach
- Tips for resource constrained NGOs to mobilize the expertise and resources required to conduct mixed methods evaluations
Part V. Case Studies Illustrating Different Applications of Mixed Methods Designs